Courageous and Strong

For the Tula petal (courageous and strong), we made mini bows and arrows. I wish I'd gotten a shot of the girls shooting at cushion targets, but I was too busy tying bow strings. Check out this great tutorial.

A thanks to the blog All for the Boys for this great inspiration. This does not necessarily need to be all for boys!

I also threw in something I was obsessed with as a kid growing up next door to the Cherokee reservation in the Smokies. Native American pictographs. Now, I have no idea how authentic these particular symbols are, but we had a general discussion about how people long ago in many parts of the world may have used a pictographs to communicate before they had a written or alphabetical language. I suggested that the girls could use the symbols to tell a short story on their bow. A few did this, a few just decorated theirs with designs.

We had an image of stories on buffalo hide.

Popular Posts